Bottle of Red
A young artistic couple in 1945 witnesses mob killing at Louis Italian-American Restaurant.
My story is partially inspired by a scene in The Godfather where Michael kills Sollozzo and McClusky. I thought it’d be funny to tell that story from the viewpoint of a couple of innocent bystanders in the restaurant.
The assassination took place in the Bronx in December of 1945. To get The Godfather details correct, I pulled screenshots from the film and read the novel. The period details include the New York art scene, weather, historical events, popular music, slang, cars and more. Trina Robbins contributed to the research. In addition to fashion and street-level historical details I would have missed, she also designed Jill’s shoes and pointed out the perfect veal dish for the period.
Tools and Materials
- 12 x 18 inch live area
- Strathmore 500 bristol smooth paper
- Speedball Super Black India Ink
- Short-handle round #4 sable brush
- Ruling pen (borders)
- Speedball #512 (straight lines, details)
- Speedball B6 and B5 (lettering)
- Ames Lettering Guide (setting 4.5 default)
- Adobe Photoshop CS3 (production, corrections)
Dave M!, giving you an offer you can’t refuse.