Ladybat and the Fanboy in “Tool Talk”
A delusional fanboy and beautiful superheroine hang out in a Krazy Kat landscape.
This was orignally created as a content-free demonstration tool for my Art of the Comic Book class. The tools were (1) using ruling pen for straight lines, (2) Ames Lettering Guide lines and (3) Speedball C6 and B6 nibs for lettering.
Tools and Materials
- 10" x 15" live area on 14" x 17" bristol paper
- Speedball Super Black India Ink
- Short-handle round #4 sable brush
- Ruling pen (borders)
- Speedball nib #512 (buildings, details)
- Speedball C6 and B6 (lettering)
- Ames Lettering Guide (setting 3.5 even-spaced)
- Adobe Photoshop CS5 (production)
Herbie's gibberish is a demonstration of the most difficult characters to letter clearly (E, S, 8... made up of 3 horizontal strokes that need space between them). The post-inked content is from my undying obsession with Yvonne Craig's Batgirl. The idea to spoof All Star Batman & Robin, The Boy Wonder came from Art of the Comic Book All-Star Olivia Dinnall.